SOCIAL MEDIA

BEST HAIRSTYLES FOR SCUBA DIVING

6.13.2018


When I first started my scuba diving lessons I was really worried about how I would manage my long hair in the water. I searched google and didn't really find any good articles, so I decided to ask my dive instructor, a man, who only had moderate knowledge, so I went through the process of trial and error so that you don't have to!

FIRST TIP: If you are super serious about scuba, BUY A HOOD! The best way to keep your hair out of the way, is to eliminate it all together, I personally don't own a hood yet, but when I buy my wet suit, I plan on investing a good one. HERE is a link to the best rated one on amazon. I just think it is a little silly to dive with a hood, without a wet suit.

A lot of people suggest just keeping your hair cut short, but your mask strap will still pull on your hair. My husband's hair is short and still gets tangled in the strap occasionally. We purchased THIS strap cover (mine is yellow and my husband bought black) IT CHANGED THE WHOLE DAMN GAME! I went for several dives without the strap cover and especially during training when they require you to remove your mask a lot. During recreational diving it makes it more comfortable to put it on and keeps it from pulling your hair after the dive when you remove it.

Now onto the main purpose of this post, the best hairstyles for scuba diving. One little disclaimer, I don't have bangs and all of my hair is one length, I did try two hairstyles that will work for people with layers, but I don't have any advice for bangs, I apologize, My husband's hair is a little long in the front and sometimes it does interfere with his mask, so he pulls it up in a little ponytail when he dives.



OPTION ONE (MY FAVORITE!) - I usually braid my hair into dutch braids with one braid on each side of my head. I pull it tight and try to have the braid towards the back of my head so that if there is loose hair it doesn't get in the way of my mask sealing to my face.



OPTION TWO - I pull the top portion of my hair into a pony tail. (This would be great for people with layers!) and then gather my hair into another ponytail and braid the ends straight back.



OPTION THREE - I pull my hair into a military style bun. This is a great style to keep your hair from being snatched by anything. You can do two different ways, the traditional sock bun way or I like to take my dutch braids, put them into a ponytail and twist into a bun.
In the above picture I have two braids twisted into a bun, similar to the way I twist my dutch braids into a bun.

These are my three favorite ways to do my hair to keep it controlled during scuba diving but there are several other ways that I've seen it done. The main goals are to keep it PULLED OUT OF YOUR FACE, NICE AND TIDY, and COMFORTABLE.



Now, I'm not an expert! Far, far from it, but I'm falling in love with scuba and I hope to share all of the ways to make it easier for other people to fall in love with scuba too! 

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments! Leave me one?