SOCIAL MEDIA

HOW 3 WEEKS IN CALI CHANGED MY LIFE

2.05.2019


Surprise I guess? In a split second decision I jumped on a plane to California to see my friend and her two babies, I've written about them a few times and I was really nervous because I'm not a split second person, I'm a methodical planner, hello, OCD.

So imagine my panic, with only a week's notice to be in California, but the trip was so good for my soul. Being born and raised in sunny south Florida the Utah winters are SO hard on me, I really enjoy Utah for the most part, I don't really envision it as our forever home, but I especially dread the winter time. Being able to miss three of the coldest weeks of the year for the incredible warmth of California was already going to be great, but the time I spent with my friend really helped me re-evaulate my life.

Am I really happy? She asked me this question a lot, right now Marie Kondo is super trendy, and I guess I could add context that my friend is Japanese, and traditionally, in Japan, people only do things that bring them joy. She really helped me take some inventory of my life in terms of happiness, if I'm not happy, why? What can I do to fix these things, after all, I'm in control of my own happiness.

She helped change my relationship with food, and I want to do a giant post on this, but we spent a lot of the time taking turns cooking authentic Mexican food (me) and authentic Japanese food (her) for each other and it was incredible, I'm feeling so recharged to go home and cook a lot more of my childhood foods and a lot less prepackaged foods.

She also helped me feel better about my body, I've lost a lot of weight since I've seen her last but I haven't been really shopping, so I've just been wearing baggy clothes and feeling underdressed and messy and frumpy and she really helped boost my self esteem and steer me in the direction of finding some grown up clothes that aren't all black or from Victoria Secret. haha.

What do I want to do next? So I always keep my next move a secret, but I'm so thankful that she helped me get outside of my head to find the time to really decide, what is next for me? Just wait and see.

I just know that I'm landing in Salt Lake City tonight with a new perspective and feeling really refreshed. Also, so so so grateful. Gratitude upon gratitude for the people I've found to surround myself with. The trip didn't go exactly how I envisioned when I left but it definitely helped shine a light on the people who really are down for me the way they say they are.

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments! Leave me one?