SOCIAL MEDIA

THE NEWLYWED GUIDE: ESTABLISHING TRADITIONS

1.18.2019

[this post was made in partnership with Dunkin Donuts - All thoughts, words, and opinions are mine] 

When you get married you and your husband are creating your own family and you have the opportunity to create your own traditions. I thought I'd share ours and offer a little advice on establishing your own!

HOLIDAYS:

NEW YEAR'S EVE - We decided our first year of marriage to start a tradition that we would have a cheese board for dinner with snacks (like a party for two!) since we aren't big party people, we also usually rent a movie.

NEW YEAR'S DAY - [NO ESTABLISHED TRADITION -yet!] *

VALENTINE'S DAY - We exchange small gifts and usually go out somewhere to eat.

EASTER - In the past we've gone to family dinners, when we have our own children this could evolve, also Charlie normally gets me some type of Easter treat.

CINCO DE MAYO -I actually don't really celebrate cinco de mayo, like a lot of places in Mexico but I like to cook traditional Mexican food for dinner.

4th of JULY - We ALWAYS do fireworks! My husband loves to do fireworks, so we do them every year, bought preferably from a Veteran owned firework stand. 

MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY (SEPT 16th) - I like to celebrate with traditional Mexican food and tequila, my favorite! When we have kids I'd like to take this day to explain a little about the history of Mexico.

HALLOWEEN - We always buy a bag of Halloween candy and eat it ourselves, but I keep trying to convince him to dress up with me, but we're pretty busy with preparations for the next holiday.

DIA DE LOS MUERTOS - I celebrate the whole time with my altar, we had a party this past year, I'd like to continue doing that, of course having traditional Mexican food, and tequila.

THANKSGIVING - I really enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and I've made it for us before, but the past few years we have just gone to family events.

CHRISTMAS - Our tradition is Asian food (either Japanese or Chinese) and going to a movie on Christmas Day, but we've been busy with family events the last few years and haven't been able to do it on the actual day, we've also ordered delivery and rented a movie at home so we could be with Simon who had staples and stitches this Christmas season. We also don't usually wrap our gifts to each other, haha!

BIRTHDAYS - Usually we go out to eat somewhere special for our birthday and we exchange gifts. I normally pick out my own gift and my husband picks out his own gift.

ANNIVERSARY - This is probably the only time we do "surprise" gifts, mostly because both of us are so bad and not wanting to give the gift as soon as it gets here! We also always try to eat somewhere new to us, or do something that we haven't done for our anniversary.



Day - to - Day 

You don't have to wait for a holiday to make life special. We are in a busy season of our life, my husband is working and going to school so we are at a point where we can't always have a date night, so we made a pact that Sundays were our "day". We'd spend extra time cuddling, lounging, and just enjoying the time we got to spend together. I'm sure the fact that we agreed to add Dunkin's helped a lot too!

So when you're working on your own traditions don't just wait for important days, stop today and say, can I schedule a re-occurring date night? If not, what about a day that you agree to just stay home and enjoy each other?

*It is never too late to find traditions! Just because you didn't do it your first year of marriage doesn't mean you have to commit to doing nothing! Try something new this upcoming holiday!

Spend some time looking at my traditions, then send me some of your own! I'd love to be inspired to try some new things!

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments! Leave me one?